Mbarara High School was started as a primary school by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) on February 19, 1911, at the king’s palace in Kamukuzi. J. Kironde was the first headteacher helped by Rev. H. Clayton.
Ruharo hill in Mbarara Municipality is popularly known as the seat for Ankole Diocese. But also on this hill, Ankole Kingdom, before its demise, and the Church Missionary Society founded the 101-year Mbarara High School.